Skip to content ↓

Impington Village College

FGB Minutes 05-02-13

MEETING OF THE FULL GOVERNING BODY,

INCORPORATING THE ANNUAL GENERAL MEETINGS OF IMPINGTON VILLAGE COLLEGE AND IMPINGTON SPORTS CENTRE LIMITED 

Tuesday 5 February 2013 at 7 pm in the Gropius hall

MINUTES 

Note the Chairman made adjustments to the order of business and so the minutes reflect the order that the agenda items were taken.

4    Academic update

 

The Chairman welcomed board members, other attendees and members of the public to the Annual General Meetings of Impington Village College and Impington Sports Centre Limited and the annual public meeting of the Governing Body. 

      He reminded the meeting that IVC became an Academy on 1 February 2012.  Academies are companies limited by guarantee with Members of the companies being the guarantors and responsible for the appointment of Directors (governors).  The structure of IVC Academy as approved by the DFE made all governors both Directors and Members.  As an Academy the responsibility for the governance of the college rests with the Governors alone.  A statutory requirement of being a company is to hold an annual general meeting, hence the meeting tonight.

      A key highlight of the previous year was the very successful Ofsted inspection in May 2012.  Governors were particularly pleased that the self assessment of the college was endorsed by Ofsted in every respect except in the category of behaviour where the grade was raised to outstanding.  Inspectors also commended the college’s vision of being inclusive, inspiring and international.  Governors used the Away Day held last summer term to develop this vision and will use the Away Day planned for this summer to work on implementation plans.

6    AGM of Impington Sports Centre Limited

 

6a     Present:   Martin Rigby (Chair), David Jenkins, Claire Beressi-Jones, Rob Campbell, Jayne Green, Brian Harrison, Michael Truscott, Hildegard O’Kane, Jake Reynolds, Elizabeth Sadler, Paula Carter, Julian Mellor, Huw Jones and Lauren Allin.

6b    In Attendance: Fran Difranco (Vice-Principal: Business and Administration [VPBA]), Richard Spencer (Vice Principal Teaching & Learning and KS5 [VPKS5]), James Gare (MacIntyre Hudson), KJ Norton-Berry (Assistant Principal) and Joe Greenway (Clerk)

6c     Members of the Public in attendance: Hooda Abdullah, Max Parish and Ian Hill

6d     Approval of Absences: Apologies were received from Alan Rodger, Patricia Labistour, Suzy Offord, Nick Morley, Eddy Moore and Steph Franklin.  There were no proxy votes

6e     Receipt of Annual Accounts

 

                  The Governing Body of Impington Village College received the accounts of Impington Sports Centre Limited for the year end 31 August 2012.

6f      Re-appointment of Auditors

The Chairman proposed the re-appointment of MacIntyre Hudson as auditors for Impington Sports Centre Limited for the next financial year.

This was approved nem con

The AGM of Impington Sports Centre closed at 7.10.

5     AGM of Impington Village College

 

5a     Present:   Martin Rigby (Chair), David Jenkins, Claire Beressi-Jones, Rob Campbell, Jayne Green, Brian Harrison, Michael Truscott, Hildegard O’Kane, Jake Reynolds, Elizabeth Sadler, Paula Carter, Julian Mellor, Huw Jones and Lauren Allin.

5b    In Attendance: Fran Difranco (Vice-Principal: Business and Administration [VPBA]), Richard Spencer (Vice Principal Teaching & Learning and KS5 [VPKS5]), James Gare (MacIntyre Hudson), KJ Norton-Berry (Assistant Principal) and Joe Greenway (Clerk)

5c     Members of the Public in attendance: Hooda Abdullah, Max Parish and Ian Hill

5d     Approval of Absences: Apologies were received from Alan Rodger, Patricia Labistour, Suzy Offord Nick Morley, Eddy Moore and Steph Franklin.  There were no proxy votes

5e     Receipt of Annual Accounts

 

                  The Governing Body of Impington Village College received the accounts of Impington Sports Centre Limited and Impington Village College for the year end 31 August 2012.

5f      Re-appointment of Auditors

The Chairman proposed the re-appointment of MacIntyre Hudson as auditors for Impington Village College for the next financial year.

This was approved nem con

The AGM of Impington Village College closed at 7.15.

7          Questions to the Governing Body

James Gare of Macintyre Hudson arrived at 7.20 during this item

The Chairman invited questions from members of the public.

Does the college have an issue with the sufficiency of admission capacity?’ 

The Principal responded that there is no issue with any family living within the catchment area getting their child into the college.  The current admission number is 210 students.  Some families who do NOT live in the college’s catchment area may not get their children admitted.

Are governors aware of and have they made steps to address the potential significant increase in population that is to occur over the next decade?’

The Chairman responded by saying that the education landscape was changing rapidly.  Parents were being given a far greater choice in where to send their children.  They are not obliged to send them to the local college and so most parents would send their children to the ‘best’ college they could.  Therefore in this increasingly competitive market it was clear to the governing body that the college’s first priority was to improve its standard of teaching and learning to that of ‘outstanding’ so that IVC would become the ‘first choice’ college of parents in the area.  Until that was the case any population growth may not in itself result in a requirement to increase college capacity.

That being said the Chairman acknowledged that it was also incumbent on the Governing Body to ‘reach out’ to the college’s stakeholders: feeder schools, parish councils and Cambridgeshire County Council, and to take on board their issues when evolving the college’s strategic development plans.  The new post of Development and Engagement Manager will improve external communications and stakeholders will be invited to the next Governors’ Away Day.

‘Given to poor attendance of members of the public to this meeting does the Governing Body think its communication with the outside world is adequate?’

The Chairman responded by saying that AGMs are generally ‘dry’ affairs and so was not unduly surprised by the lack of interest.  Last year, when conversion to an academy was being proposed, attendance at the public meeting was much better as it was perhaps a more ‘controversial’ subject.  The Governing Body does not see the traditional annual meeting that is open to the public as its main vehicle for external communication and seeks to continue to develop the college website for this purpose.

Action: Principal to ensure the Parish Council gets sent a copy of ‘Imprint’ on a regular basis.

The Chairman thanked the members of the public for their penetrating and thought-provoking questions.  He invited them to stay for the remainder of the meeting and said he would offer another opportunity for them to ask questions at the conclusion of the main agenda items.

MEETING OF THE FULL GOVERNING BODY

 

Present:   Martin Rigby (Chair), David Jenkins, Claire Beressi-Jones, Rob Campbell, Jayne Green, Brian Harrison, Michael Truscott, Hildegard O’Kane, Jake Reynolds, Elizabeth Sadler, Paula Carter, Julian Mellor, Huw Jones and Lauren Allin.

In Attendance: Fran Difranco (Vice-Principal: Business and Administration [VPBA]), Richard Spencer (Vice Principal Teaching & Learning and KS5 [VPKS5]), James Gare (MacIntyre Hudson), KJ Norton-Berry (Assistant Principal) and Joe Greenway (Clerk)

Members of the Public in attendance: Hooda Abdullah, Max Parish and Ian Hill

The Chairman welcomed Richard Spencer (VPKS5) to his first meeting of the Governing Body and also James Gare of MacIntrye Hudson

1    Approval of Absences   

Apologies were received from Alan Rodger, Patricia Labistour, Suzy Offord, Nick Morley, Eddy Moore and Steph Franklin.

2    Declaration of Business Interests

 

None

8    Minutes of the Meeting held on 20 November 2012

James Gare left the meeting during this item at 7.55

The minutes of the meeting held on 20 November 2012 were agreed and signed as a correct record. 

9    Matters arising from the Minutes of the Meeting held on 20 November 2012

 

  • Co-option proposals

 

Governors agreed to consider this at the next Away Day.

  • Standards and Achievement 2012

 

Governors asked about the legal challenge to the summer 2012 GCSE results.  The Principal informed the meeting that the judge had yet to rule but that this was anticipated soon.

 

  • Admissions

 

The Principal confirmed that he had been officially informed of the intention of Dry Drayton Primary School to move from the catchment area of IVC to that of Comberton Village College. 

 

10  Minutes of the Meeting held on 10 December 2012

The minutes of the meeting held on 10 December 2012 were agreed and signed as a correct record. 

11  Matters arising from the Minutes of the Meeting held on 10 December 2012

 

None

 

 

12  Principal’s Report

 

Brian Harrison left the meeting during this item at 7.55 pm

The Principal drew Governors’ attention to the following items in his report.

  • Standards & Achievements – 2012 RAISEonline/Performance Tables

The Principal reminded governors that the RAISEonline report is an annual publication from Ofsted that shows college performance for the academic year just ended.  The three annexes to his paper give increasingly detailed information.  Governors would be aware, that consequent to the poor GCSE results, particularly in English, it is not surprising that the report shows a decline in performance both overall and in specific subjects, for example, in English IVC has gone from being in the top 20% of colleges to the bottom 20%.

The reasons for this have been discussed at many governors’ meetings last term and the Principal summarised them as follows:

-       corporate complacency following outcomes in 2011 and preparations for Ofsted

-       change in senior leadership roles/responsibilities in January 2012

-       cohort leadership and specific focus on under-achieving students

-       drop in GCSE English due to new specifications

-       over-generous assessments leading to masking of under-achievement

He recommended that the report be considered in detail at the forthcoming Learning Committee on 5 March 2013.

The Chairman commented that the key issue, as said before in this meeting, is to improve the quality of teaching so that is consistently outstanding. The VPKS5 commented that his main responsibility is to ensure this improvement takes place by addressing poor practice, supporting excellence and promoting staff development.  His appointment shows the college’s commitment to ensuring this takes place.

Governors confirmed that they found the RAISEonline report intensely disappointing and accepted their responsibility for it. They confirmed their request of the September 2012 Governing Body meeting for a detailed report on the progress made on the action points to address the weaknesses to be tabled at the next Learning Committee with a follow up report to the Full Governors on 19 March.

ActionsPrincipal and Clerk to ensure the RAISEonline report is tabled for a fuller discussion at the Learning Committee of 5 March 2013.

 Principal and Clerk  to ensure progress monitoring reports to address the weaknesses in performance are tabled at the Learning Committee of 5 March 2013 and Full Governing Body of 19 March 2013.

The governors expressed particular concern that teachers were being over-generous in assessments and also that they were being pressured by parents to improved their predictions of individual performance.  The Principal responded that the Assistant Principal Teaching was drawing up a revised assessment frame work to address this to ensure that predictions are based on quantitative data rather than qualitative  judgments.  Governors asked that the methods of communication with parents about predications and targets also be reviewed and that both of these matters are brought to the Learning Committee.

ActionAssistant Principal Teaching and Clerk to ensure that papers on the revised Assessment Framework and its communication to parents are tabled at the Learning Committee of 5 March 2013.

In respect of the performance tables the Principal commented that Cambridgeshire colleges performed much worse as a whole than he expected and consequently the position of IVC, whilst poor, was not as bad as expected when viewed in context.

  • Review of college day

The Principal reminded governors of the previously announced intention to review the structure of the college day and presented a plan of action.

Governors expressed concern that the rationale for the intention was still unclear and requested to Principal to provide such a statement together with its link to the strategic priorities and the desired outcomes of such a change.  It would then be entirely appropriate for the CET to table a number of possible models with points for and against each that governors could then discuss.  It was recognised that whatever model was chosen would be a compromise and would not be the model of choice for every stakeholder.  

ActionPrincipal to produce a rationale for a change to the structure to the college day, together with its link to the strategic priorities and the desired outcomes and models for discussion as soon as reasonably practicable.

  • Strategic priorities

The Principal tabled the draft strategic priorities for governor comment prior to their full discussion at the forthcoming Strategy and Engagement Committee. Governors were very positive in their feedback and made the following remarks:

  1. The priorities for the sixth form need to be more aspirational
  2. The need to make the issue of the IB approach to teaching lower down the college more overt.

ActionPrincipal and Clerk to ensure the Strategic Priorities are tabled for a fuller discussion at the Strategy & Engagement Committee of 26 February 2013.

  • Budget 2013-2014

 

The Governors agreed with the Principal the fact that the college has yet to receive an indicative budget for the next academic year is wholly inadequate.

13   Matters requiring decision by the governors: Governors’ Away Day

Governors discussed three possible dates for the Governor’s Away Day to be held in the summer term and agreed a date.  The Chairman apologised to those governors who could not attend the selected date.

Decision:  Governors approved that the Away Day be held on Saturday 11 May 2013.

ActionClerk to circulate the notes of the Away Day held in May 2012.

14   Matters for discussion: 0-19 Education

HJ tabled his paper for discussion.  Governors agreed that it was now time to give the development of 0-19 Education in the college’s catchment area serious consideration and also agreed that, in the first instance, it needs to be a bottom up process and not led by IVC.  Governors agreed to invite representatives of feeder schools, colleges and others for a session on 0-19 Education to take place during the Away Day.  IVC should also consult with local colleges’ forums and the Parish Council.

ActionChairman and Principal to draw up a programme to the Away Day including a list of external stakeholders to invite.

  1. Matters for information: Minutes of Committees

 

Governors received and noted the draft minutes of the Learning Committee of 4 December 2012 and Resources Committee of 10 December 2012. 

The Terms of Reference of the Learning Committee were reviewed at the meeting of 4 December 2012.  The committee approved the proposed amendments and recommended these changes to the Full Governing Body for approval.

Decision:  Governors approved the changes to the Terms of Reference nem con.

16   AoB

 

  • IBCC

The VPKS5 informed Governors that the college was now authorised to offer the IBCC (International Baccalaureate Career Certificate) from September 2013.  A verification visit would take place in June 2013.  The course would allow vocational studies to be part of the IB programme which would be an attractive option for many students.  The college already has sufficient applicants to predict that a good cohort will run from next September.  Governors requested a presentation on the IBCC at its next meeting

ActionVPKS5 and Clerk to arrange for a presentation on the IBCC to be at the start of the next Full Governing Body meeting of 19 March 2013.

  • Graffitti

DJ drew Governors’ attention to the increase in graffitti around the area and asked staff to encourage students not to damage the fabric of the community.  The VPBA responded that the college was in close contact with the local PCSO about this. 

  • Staff Well- Being Group

ES asked about the Staff Well-Being Group.  The Principal responded that the group has been meeting regularly and has introduced number of initiatives.  A report will be given to the next Resources Committee

ActionPrincipal and Clerk to ensure a report on the Staff Well-Being Group is tabled at the next meeting of the Resources Committee of 25 February 2013.

 

Questions to the Governing Body

The Chairman invited questions from members of the public.

‘Would it be possible for the Parish Council to be involved in the forthcoming 75th anniversary celebrations of IVC?’

The Chairman and Principal were delighted to agree to this suggestion.

The meeting closed at 9.05 pm.