Skip to content ↓

Impington Village College

FGB Minutes 19-11-13

Impington Village College
MEETING OF THE FULL GOVERNING BODY
Tuesday 19 November 2013 at 6.00 pm in the Carnegie Room

MINUTES

Present: Martin Rigby (Chairman), Rob Campbell, Jayne Green, Jake Reynolds, Elizabeth Sadler, Julian Mellor, Patricia Labistour, Huw Jones, Hildegard O’Kane, Brian Harrison, Paola Pizzigallo, Simon Guest and Lauren Allin.

In Attendance: Richard Spencer (Vice Principal Teaching & Learning and Upper School [VPTL]), Fran Difranco (Vice Principal Business and Administration [VPBA]), Ryan Kelsall (Assistant Principal Maths and Data & Tracking [APMDT]), Rebecca Jermy (Assistant Principal English and Interventions & Enrichment [APEIE]), Katie Jarvis (Acting Assistant Principal), Amy Wormald (Development and Engagement Manager) and Joe Greenway (Clerk)

1 Approval of Absences
Apologies were received from David Jenkins, Paula Carter, Alan Rodger, Nick Morley Suzy Offord and Claire Beressi-Jones.

2 Minutes of the meeting of 24 September 2013
The minutes of the meeting held on 24 September 2013 were agreed and signed as a correct record.

3 Matters arising from the meeting of 24 September 2013

Agenda item 5 - Principal’s Report
The Chairman thanked Jayne Green, Claire Beressi-Jones and Elizabeth Sadler for agreeing to participate in the Executive Working Party considering the Middle Years Programme and that he looked forward to the progress report to be delivered during this meeting. The Principal confirmed that the working party would need to meet again, assuming governors approved of the progress made, in order to further discuss the ramifications for the College, for example, in respect of the structure of the college day. He further confirmed that CET would lead on arranging future meetings of the working party.

4 General Meeting of Impington Village College Academy Trust

4a. Present: Martin Rigby (Chairman), Rob Campbell, Jayne Green, Jake Reynolds, Elizabeth Sadler, Julian Mellor, Patricia Labistour, Huw Jones, Hildegard O’Kane, Brian Harrison, Paola Pizzigallo, Simon Guest and Lauren Allin.

4b. In Attendance: Richard Spencer (Vice Principal Teaching & Learning and Upper School [VPTL]), Fran Difranco (Vice Principal Business and Administration [VPBA]), Ryan Kelsall (Assistant Principal Maths and Data & Tracking [APMDT]), Rebecca Jermy (Assistant Principal English and Interventions & Enrichment [APEIE]), Katie Jarvis (Acting Assistant Principal), Amy Wormald (Development and Engagement Manager) and Joe Greenway (Clerk)

4c. Approval of Absences
Apologies were received from David Jenkins, Paula Carter, Alan Rodger, Nick Morley Suzy Offord and Claire Beressi-Jones.

4d. New Members

i. The Chairman reminded members that the term of office of Brian Harrison expired at the end of October 2013. He proposed that Brian Harrison be co-opted to the Academy Trust for a further period of 4 years.
Decision: The appointment of Brian Harrison as co-opted governor for a period of 4 years from November 2013 was approved nem con

ii. The Chairman reminded members that under the Articles of Association they could appoint a governor using Article 50 and that they had done this in November 2012 for Huw Jones. The purpose of raising the matter now was to ensure that this appointment was formally recorded in a Members’ meeting.
Decision: The appointment of Huw Jones as Article 50 governor for a period of 4 years from November 2012 was approved nem con

iii. The Chairman welcomed Paola Pizzigallo and Simon Guest as recently elected Staff and Parent Governors respectively.

iv. The Chairman reported the resignation of Michael Truscott as Member and Governor with effect from 17 November 2013 and, on behalf of Members and Governors, formally recorded his thanks for the contribution Michael made to the work of the governing body.

4e. Company Secretary
The Chairman reported that the Clerk had recently undertaken staff development on the role of a Company Secretary and following this his actual job activities had been reviewed. This showed that he currently undertakes much of what is expected of a Company Secretary and so it seemed sensible to formalize that role. Thus the Chairman proposed that the Clerk to the Governing Body be appointed as a Company Secretary to Impington Village College Academy Trust.
Decision: The appointment of the Clerk to the Governing Body as Company Secretary to Impington Village College Academy Trust was approved nem con.

4f. Company Records
The Clerk reminded Members of the need to maintain up to date company records and, to that end, issued a guarantor statement for recently appointed governors to sign.
The General Meeting of Members of Impington Village College Academy Trust closed at 6.20 pm.

5 The Vision for the College

• Cambridge City Secondary Review
The Principal gave the presentation he had recently received at a meeting of Head-teachers given by Cambridgeshire County Council on the emerging pressures and options for expanding provision. In summary between now and 2021/22 the number of secondary places required is expected to increase by 30% plus there are major housing development expansion plans around the city including in the north-west close to Impington. This amounts to a possible 400 places short in the north west of the city in 2021. Options under discussion are expansion of existing establishments, including IVC which is designated a ‘necklace’ college (on the outskirts of the city as opposed to a city centre location), and/or the building of new secondary provision. If the latter IVC needs to be in a position to offer to run any new school that is built close by. To make this possible IVC needs to be ‘outstanding’.

Governors asked about the impact on 6th form provision, special needs provision, the current strategic plan, management capacity, expansion plans on the current site, the other necklace colleges, the impact of the increase in the school leaving age and the impact of the new University Technical College. The Principal responded as follows:
• the review is concerned with 11-16 provision but any expansion plans could be used as a mechanism to gain investment in the 6th form, particularly to build a new 6th form centre;
• other than recognising the need for more enhanced resources the plans are not yet at the level of detail to describe the impact on special needs provision.
• The strategic plan would need to be amended once decisions had been made at county level.
• The Principal reiterated his confidence in the developing skills of the management team.
• There is some capacity for expansion on site but by 2021 IVC will not have the space for the project growth.
• The Principal reminded governors that the College had declined an invitation from the DfE to sponsor a failing school citing the College’s need to focus on its next inspection in 2015. However if the DfE believes that IVC has sponsorship capacity now it will be difficult for it to resist pressure to be a sponsor once it is outstanding. Also if a new 11-16 school is built close by it is likely that the other necklace colleges will seek to sponsor it. Therefore IVC must be in a strong position to compete for the sponsorship of any new close-by school.
• There is currently a surplus of post 16 places which is likely to stay the case for at least 10 more years
• The new University Technical College has no link with the Universities of Cambridge or Anglia Ruskin and is concerned with the vocational education of the 14 to 18. Therefore it is likely to be competitor of IVC for some elements of the curriculum offer over time.

The Chairman reminded governors that this are the early stages of an iterative process but, given their responsibility for the strategic direction of IVC, the governing body needs to give the Principal a clear mandate for the discussions he will have with the County Council over the next months. The Chairman thus proposed an open mandate with no constraints to allow the Principal to discuss all possible options and to require him to report on progress regularly to the Full Governing Body and also the Strategy and Engagement Committee as necessary.

Decision: Governors approved an open mandate for the Principal in his discussions with Cambridgeshire County Council over the future development of secondary education in and around the city nem con.

• The Vision for the College to 2024

The Principal referred governors to his paper on the vision for IVC to 2024. Governors supported the statements contained therein and asked what were the statements that are unique to IVC and that suggested those statements that are common with other providers should be deleted. The Principal responded that parents and Ofsted expect certain statements to be made even if they are ubiquitous and obvious, for example the desire to be and maintain outstanding provision and so that he would be uncomfortable to have such statements deleted from the vision. He requested specific feedback on the vision document from meeting participants.

Action: Governors to feedback specific comments on the Vision 2024 paper directly to the Principal by the end of the autumn term.

• Impington 75

The Chairman introduced this item by thanking the Development and Engagement Manager (DEM) for the work she had undertaken thus far on the 75th anniversary of the establishment of Impington Village College. He then informed governors that Alan Rodger had agreed to chair a working party looking at raising permanent endowments and other funds on the back of the celebrations for use in developing the site, for example, for the building/refurbishment of the 6th form. Such work will last for longer than the anniversary celebrations.
The DEM reported on some of the themes she is currently working on, for example, making use of the Gropius Building which is a unique architectural structure and exploring opportunities to work with those families which have had 3 generations passing through the College.
The Principal tabled a paper on the establishment of an anniversary working party to lead on the planning of the celebrations.

Decision: Governors agreed to the establishment of such a working party and approved, with one minor amendment, the proposed terms of reference. nem con.

The final terms of reference are appended to these minutes.
Simon Guest agreed to be co-opted on to the anniversary working party.

• Middle Years Programme

The VPTL referred governors to his papers on the progress to date on the proposed Middle Years Programme. He reported that substantial discussions had been held with existing MYP schools and local partners and stakeholders and that the key emerging messages were:
• MYP offers a good opportunity for continuum to the IB Diploma Programme and for a whole school approach to the IB Learner Profile.
• MYP offers a good opportunity to reinvigorate the curriculum and inspire collaborative planning.
• Assessment is a potential weakness.
• Parental resistance can be considerable in a Cambridge context where there are doubts around assessment and recognition by other providers
• With staff, adequate lead-in time and training is essential for retaining staff and building enthusiasm, as well as producing the quality curriculum required.
• The processes around accreditation and formal approval by IBO are onerous and expensive.
• Consideration needs to be given to the extent to which the use of assessment matches national assessment and accountability frameworks.
• There are currently only eleven schools in the UK accredited as deliverers of the MYP. Of these, only two are state schools and just one non-selective.
In the view of CET and the Middle Years Programme Working Party the proposals to move forward are:
• To introduce a new Middle Years curriculum to IVC over the next three to five years, beginning with Year 7 in 2014/15.
• To NOT to seek accreditation as it is too expensive and prescriptive
• That the curriculum in Year 7 next year will be very different, will reflect elements of the IB MYP, and will be built around the following five ‘Areas of Interaction’:

1. Ways of learning
2. Communities and our place in them
3. The ingenuity of individuals
4. Environments
5. Our health and our societies

The areas of interaction will be thematic strands reflected across all faculty schemes of work.
• That the allocation of teaching hours will be slightly rebalanced to reflect the eight key curriculum areas.
• That faculties will develop new assessment criteria/framework along the 1-7 grading lines of the IB, using the National Curriculum levels as a guide and starting point.
• That faculties will collaborate between February and September to devise and plan new schemes of work. Utilisation of the moodle (VLE) will be central to planning.
• That the new curriculum and assessment system will be shared with parents in detail during the induction days and information evenings.
• That the IVC-MYP will be phased in each year and evaluated carefully.
The VPTL then shared a possible implementation timetable.
The Chairman thanked the VPTL for his comprehensive report, remarking that the MYP would be an exciting curriculum development for the College and invited questions and comments. Governors expressed full support for the proposals as given.

Decision: Governors approved the proposals and implementation programme for the Middle Years Programme as given in the paper nem con.

6 Annual Report for Looked After Children 2012/13
The Vice Principal referred governors to the paper and invited questions and comments. Governors asked about the strategies to narrow the achievement gap of looked after children and whether these children are in receipt of pupil premium funding. The Vice Principal responded by staying that such children are in receipt of PP funding, are identified as such, and that the strategies to narrow the achievement gap are those of the pupil premium that have been shared with governors at previous meetings.
Governors received and noted the report.

7 Minutes of Committees
Governors received and noted the draft minutes of the Strategy & Engagement Committee of 8 October 2013, the Resources Committee of 21 October 2013. They also approved the Terms of Reference for 2013-14 as recommended by both committees.
The Clerk reminded governors of the confidential nature of some items in the committees’ minutes.

8 Any other business
None.

The meeting closed at 8.05 pm