Skip to content ↓

Impington Village College

FGB Minutes 02-04-14

MEETING OF THE FULL GOVERNING BODY,

OF IMPINGTON VILLAGE COLLEGE

Wednesday 2 April 2014 at 7.00 pm in the Library

MINUTES

Present:   Martin Rigby (Chairman), David Jenkins, Rob Campbell (Principal), Jayne Green, Brian Harrison, Hildegard O’Kane, Elizabeth Sadler, Alan Rodger, Huw Jones, Suzy Offord, Claire Beressi-Jones, Julian Mellor, Simon Guest, Lauren Allin and Stephanie Norris.

In Attendance: Fran Difranco (Director of Finance & Resources [DFR]), Richard Spencer (Vice Principal Teaching & Learning [VPTL]), Ryan Kelsall (Vice Principal Quality Assurance [VPQA]), Rebecca Jermy (Assistant Principal), Katie Jarvis (Assistant Principal), and Joe Greenway (Clerk)

1    Apologies

Apologies were received from Jake Reynolds and Paola Pizzigallo. 

2    Minutes of the meeting of 18 March 2014 and Matters arising from the Minutes

 

The minutes of the meeting held on 18 March 2014 were agreed and signed as a correct record. 

Agenda item 3    - Matters arising from 28 January, Governor Vacancies

The Clerk reported that Articles of Association did not specify any sub-categories of staff governor and therefore that it was appropriate to open the election for the current staff governor vacancy to all staff and not to restrict it to teaching staff only.  The guidance from Governor Traded Services (Cambridgeshire County Council) advises that at least one staff governor (in addition to the Principal) be a teacher.  As there is already a teacher on the FGB opening the election to all categories of staff does not conflict with this advice.  The Clerk confirmed that the election would take place in the first half of the summer term.

3    Developing the Student Pastoral System

Elizabeth Sadler arrived during this item at 7.20 pm.

The Principal referred governors to his latest paper reminding them that an outcome of the March FGB meeting was their instruction to reflect on the proposals on the same matter as presented to that meeting.  Following discussion within CET it was agreed that they were probably asking too much of the College to introduce a ‘House’ system in September 2014 and that they were now making the following recommendations:

  1.             To develop a ‘House’ identity through a new pastoral structure within existing horizontal tutor grouping.
  2.            To adopt a ‘halfway’ House system for September 2014 as the pastoral structure for IVC.
  3.           To launch a full review of and consultation on the pastoral system (in the Autumn Term) for September 2015.

The Principal then outlined the pastoral structure proposed from September 2014 and the next steps to be undertaken to get to that point and finally confirmed that a consultation on progression to a ‘full’ house system would take place in the autumn term.  This would also link with a review and development of the College Day to provide the best and most effective model for the pastoral and curricular needs of the College.

Governors asked about the numbers of students in tutor groups now and in the future, the issues of tutors reporting to four Heads of House and whether four Houses were enough.  The Principal responded by saying that the numbers of students in tutor groups would be unchanged for September 2014 and would rise to 25 from September 2015 and then decrease when the full house system becomes operational.  The College would need to increase the number of tutors.  Student Managers currently work very collaboratively with each other and with Faculty Leaders so he was sure there would be no issues with them working with the Heads of House.  The CET was confident that four was the right number of Houses for the College and was equally confident that four good appointments could be made from existing staff.  The Principal confirmed that CET was fully aware of the need to ensure that both students and parents had clear pathways of how to get help and who from.

There then followed a discussion of possible names for the four Houses based on the Principal’s suggestion of considering the historical House names, which were Teresa, King, Dunant and Ryder.  No conclusions were reached.

Governors were clearly of the view that the Principal’s latest paper was an excellent way forward with the Chairman establishing that there was consensus on this.

Decision:  Governors approved the recommendations as given in the Principal’s paper for agenda item 3 nem con.

There then followed a discussion of some aspects of the Student Behaviour Policy, particularly with regard to ‘rewards’ for students.  It was suggested that Governors with specific points to make should contact Katie Jarvis direct and that the updated Student Behaviour Policy be an agenda item for the June meeting of the FGB.

ActionCET to ensure the Student Behaviour Policy is an agenda item for the June meeting of the FGB.

 

4     AoB

 

1 Fairer Schools Funding 2015-16

Alan Rodger reminded governors that the recent allocation of £2.7M to Cambridgeshire for increased pupil funding for 2015-16 was not a given but was subject to consultation.  It was therefore his strong recommendation that positive responses should be sent to the DFE.  He agreed to draft a response for the Chairman to send on behalf of the FGB and also agreed to send to all governors an outline response for them to complete and send on an individual basis.

The Chairman thanked Alan Rodger for his efforts on behalf of the FGB and College.

2 Senior Staff no. 1

A governor commented that he had been challenged by a parent about the manner and circumstances in which a former Vice Principal had left the College.  The Principal advised that this matter was subject to a legally binding compromise agreement and that only the statement agreed to by both parties could be referred to in public.  This was given in his email to staff of 10 December 2013. 

It was agreed that a future meeting of the Resources Committee should review the College procedures for compromise agreements and to make use of the HR expertise of particular governors.

ActionClerk to ensure Compromise Agreements are an agenda item for a future meeting of the Resources Committee.

 

3 Senior Staff no. 2

            The Principal reported that Assistant Principal Rebecca Jermy had tendered her resignation for the end of the academic year.  In the interim the VPTL would oversee English at a strategic level and that the recruitment of a replacement Assistant Principal English would be a priority.

The Chairman thanked Ms Jermy for her work over the past months and wished her well for the future.

4 Tour de France 7 July 2014

The Principal advised that because of the above event there would be massive disruption to transport links on that day and consequently he was concerned about getting staff and students to and from IVC.  He proposed moving the staffing training day from 30 June to 7 July (no students attend) and that staff who have difficulty attending can work remotely.  Governors supported this.

The meeting closed at 8.00 pm.