Skip to content ↓

Impington Village College

LGB Minutes 30-01-17

MEETING OF THE LOCAL GOVERNING BODY

Monday 30 January 2017 at 6.00 pm in the Holiday Inn, Histon

MINUTES

Present: Jake Reynolds, Valerie Hastings, Suzy Offord, Karen Momber (Chairman of LGB), Brian Harrison, Elizabeth Sadler, Simon Guest and Ryan Kelsall (Principal).

In Attendance: Kate Brierton (Trustee), Huw Jones (Member), Victoria Hearn (Vice Principal), Dan Wright (Vice Principal), Katie Jarvis (Assistant Principal), Mike Murray (Assistant Principal) and Joe Greenway (Clerk).

1    Apologies

Apologies were received from Rachel Pegg, Martin Rigby (Trustee), Alan Rodger (Trustee), Stephanie Norris, Claire Beressi Jones, Rob Campbell (CEO), and Fran Difranco (Director of Finance & Resources [DFR]).

2   Declarations of Interests

None

3   Workshop Event

The Chairman welcomed everybody to the meeting and confirmed that it would be workshop and discussion based.  She gave governors a moment of time to complete the pre-meeting task of identifying: 

  1. At least two ways in which the LGB could increase its effectiveness;
  2. At least two areas where governors should increase/develop their activity;
  3. At least two areas where governors would like to be more individually effective as a governor.

The Chairman then asked Kate Brierton (Trustee) to make a presentation which first gave the objectives of the workshop as:

  • Establishing the purpose of the LGB
  • Defining the relationship with the MET Trust Board
  • Key governance activity
  • Key questions governors should be asking
  • Revisiting LGB meetings and governor links
  • Personal goals and audit.

She reminded governors that the core functions of governance, as defined in the latest edition of the DfE published Governance Handbook, are:

  • Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction;
  • Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the performance management of staff
  • Overseeing the financial performance of the organisation and making sure its money is well spent.

Governance Handbook, January 2017

She confirmed that the legal and statutory responsibilities for delivering the above functions falls to the MET Trustees, but clearly the assistance of LGB members is essential.  The change in responsibilities allows LGBs to focus on other matters in their schools that perhaps had not received their full attention in the past.

She advised that the Trust Board had reviewed and agreed a Vision and set of Values for the Trust as:

MET’s vision

“Our vision is to grow a family of schools and colleges which are individual in character but united by a passion that we:

  • Will build a better world through education
  • Are stronger through community
  • Will achieve excellence as standard for all”

The MET family of schools will be bound by a shared set of values:

  • We value world class outcomes in progress, attainment and development for all.
  • We are a community of responsible, caring individuals who value the promotion and creation of a collaborative culture underpinned by positive human relationships.
  • We value the opportunity for all to engage in lifelong learning with creative freedom, enabling individuals to continue, develop and progress.
  • Wholly inclusive, we celebrate diversity and understand individual needs; we will cultivate a global outlook and prepare all to be international citizens.

Furthermore, KB stated that the Trustees had nearly completed their work on establishing a Scheme of Delegation for the LGB that was fit for purpose and that this would be available for the March 2017 meeting of the LGB.  She also stated that the Trustees were keen to ensure there was good communication between the Board and the LGBs in the Trust and, as a start, proposed that:

  • Kate Brierton be Link MET Trustee for IVC (kate@brierton.net)
  • The Link Trustee to attend most LGB meetings
    • (other Trustees & Members may also attend from time to time)
  • The Link Trustee meets with Chair of LGB half-termly
  • The MET CEO attends a minimum of one LGB meeting annually and presents a CEO’s report.
  • There is a regular MET bulletin to member schools

She confirmed that Trustees were keen to know what LGB members would like to see in the proposed MET bulletin.

Governors were content with the presentation.  As they had no questions to ask, the Chairman then repeated that the focus of the workshop was to look at the core functions of governance defined as:

Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the performance management of staff.

Three workshop activities then followed with governors arranging themselves into different groups, which included those members of staff also in attendance.

Issues raised included:

  • the priority topics to be discussed by governors at meetings, for example
    • Pupil progress
    • Self-evaluation
    • Challenging Senior Staff
    • Performance data
  • Listening to stakeholders
  • Audit of effectiveness
  • Increasing the presence of governors at College events
  • Celebrating excellence
  • Snapshots of excellence in other schools
  • Participating in Training for example, by:
    • Attending conferences
    • Attending events organised by Cambridgeshire County Council
    • Joining the Governors IT Hub
  • Focussing on a limited number of strategic topics that will lead to College improvement

As a start to the process of auditing their effectiveness Governors were issued an Audit Form to complete and return to the Clerk as soon as possible.

Action: Governors to complete and return to the Clerk the Governor Audit Form as soon as reasonably practicable.

Following conclusion of the workshop the Chairman confirmed that she and the Principal would meet in the next few days to discuss the workshop outcomes and to devise meetings agendas that focus more on the new expectations of Governors and staff.

The Principal advised that the following papers would be issued to Governors tomorrow:

  • Principal’s Report
  • Data
  • Child Protection update
  • Faculty Primary School Liaison
  • Primary Liaison Chart
  • Link Governor Visit report Jan 2017
  • Link Governor Visit Report Oct 2016

The Principal invited Governors to feed any comments they have back to the Chairman so that they can be discussed at the next Chairman/Principal meeting.

Action: Governors to feedback comments on the Principal’s papers etc. to the Chairman as soon as reasonably practicable.

The Chairman thanked everyone for their positive contributions to the evening’s workshops.

The meeting closed at 8.00 pm.